Market Gardening and Life at 7000 ft. in the Rockies of Colorado

Tuesday, January 5, 2010

A Plan

Well it's about time to start a plannin' the garden. Which this year's going to be a whole lot more work than normal. The first step is deciding what to grow. I think we'll try just about everything this year. We've so much more area to work with that anything is possible so a little experimentation is in order. Whatever works we'll do more of next year, and whatever doesn't we'll keep trying but in a smaller scale. I don't like to give up after just one try. In addition to veggies were gonna try grains this year. Wheat, oats, millet, quinoa, spelt, rye, and barley. Also on the agenda is poultry. Laying hens, meat chickens, and turkeys. Next is shopping for seeds. My favourite part! We will invest a lot of money into seeds this year in hopes of saving seed for years to come. So we'll have to carefully lay out the garden in order to keep strains pure. That's a lot to think about at once so now is the time to start. I'm getting exited just thinking of the possibilities.

4 comments:

  1. Hi;
    First time visiting. Popped over to thank you for the follow. Love what's going on over here and am anxious to visit some of your 'support local' links. PS: Steamboat is a favorite ski spot of mine.

    Happy Gardening

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, I just found you through Blotanical, and I am smitten with your snow covered world. I am down south in Alabama. Our temps dropped into the teens this past week with a few snow flakes, and now I want it to be spring! But I love to follow other folks' snowy adventures vicariously. I look forward to reading your posts and keeping up with what's happening in your garden. Come visit Deb's garden when you can!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just gone through your plan and found it awesome. Like the header image of your blog. Keep up the good work. Iflorist.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jeremy and Jenny,
    You won our contest! I need you to advise on where to send your prize?

    ReplyDelete

Howdy, surely do appreciate your comments!